Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

retierney
New User

Read errors in Error Detection mode

Post by retierney » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Hello,

I just installed the latest update and now I can't rip any CD's. It just gets a lot of read errors on the first track, or any track, of any CD.

Thanks

Bob

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Read errors in Error Detection mode

Post by poiko » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am

Do you get READ or DATA errors ?

Normal mode ripping mode works fine, but you get errors in Error Detection mode ? And Error Detection / Compatibility mode ?

Atma
Silver
Silver

Post by Atma » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:53 pm

No problems here ;)

retierney
New User

Post by retierney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your responses. I get READ-only errors. I do have error detection turned on. I turned it off and now it rips (as expected). No, I do not have that drive. I have an "ASUS DRW-24B1ST I", if that helps. Whenever I get read errors I clean the disc and retry and it almost always works then. Occasionally I do get a disc that won't rip with error detection on.

It worked before the update and doesn't work after. As a retired Programmer, and as my Dad--an IBM Program Manager--used to say "if it worked before your code changes and not after, then your code broke it." The problem may of course lie elsewhere and your code just flushed it out.

I'd like to run with error detection on, if possible. I'm running:

Windows 10 Home
Version 1803
Build 17134.556

I really do appreciate your help. Any further suggestions?

Thank...

Bob

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 pm

READ error is reported in the Error Detection mode if there really is an actual error reading the *correct* data. The error response comes from the device. As it goes away when you clean the disc, it seems like the READ errors are reported correctly.

>> Occasionally I do get a disc that won't rip with error detection on.

If the disc is in bad condition, where the drive cannot mechanically position the laser or can't find the correct spot to read from on the disc surface, then it will fail with HARD READ ERROR in Error Detection mode. This error response is also received from the device.

The two fixes I did to the last update (8.1.1) are correct. I undid the things I made to the ripping engine few months ago. Back then I should have obeyed the programmers' golden rule "if it works, don't touch it".

retierney
New User

Post by retierney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Okay.

I did some more investigating. I remembered I had an external optical drive, so I plugged it in and turned on error checking and tried to rip a disc. It worked, but one of the tracks reported DATA errors. I re-ripped that track over and over and I got a different number of DATA errors each time. It doesn't matter because I just finished ordering another DVD drive. :)

Thank you very much for your great support!!!

Bob