Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

TheFlyingCelt
New User

Scanning files with ReplayGain & Save: volume too low

Post by TheFlyingCelt » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi Poiko,
I have scanned all my audio files, a mix of FLAC and MP3 files, about 6500 in total.
Once the scan finished I saved the metadata to the files so that my MusicBee player can read those gain values and play accordingly.
Well, they all sound too low. Any idea why? :(
I wonder if by having scanned my files all together at once, the track with the highest loudness was taken as highest volume reference, and EZ CD has lowered all the other files to a gain that would "fit them all" so that none of them will clip. If my theory is correct, how can I avoid that? And if it's wrong, what is the problem and how can I have all my files at 95db without re-convert them but just by applying the metadata please?

Thank you

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scanning files with ReplayGain & Save: volume too low

Post by poiko » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:49 pm

EZ CD Audio Converter's ReplayGain scanner calculates the ReplayGain gain values according to the standard (ReplayGain v2 with EBU R128 loudness calculation algorithm). ReplayGain gain values are saved to files' metadata as delta dB to the ReplayGain reference target loudness (89 dB SPL, -18 dB LUFS).

ReplayGain compatible player will play the files with 89 dB SPL|RG loudness unless there is a ReplayGain pre-gain setting that is used to increase the volume.

Most of the modern Pop/Rock etc music is around 95 dB, so yes playing at 89 dB is lower volume than the original.

Solutions:
- Adjust ReplayGain pre-gain of the player, some players have default setting of +6 dB
- Increase the volume of your amplifier/speakers

YouTube and Spotify use reference level of -14 dB LUFS that is 93 dB SPL|RG that would be +4 dB ReplayGain pre-gain in your player software.

TheFlyingCelt
New User

Post by TheFlyingCelt » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:14 pm

Thanks for your reply.
Is there a way in EZ CD for me to change that default 89 value to 95 to be written as replaygain track gain in batch when I save the metadata instead of editing myself 6500 files one by one and add 6db to the given value by the scan result?
The 2 solutions offered are not very suitable for my needs.
Thanks

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 pm

Correct approach is to adjust ReplayGain pre gain from the player settings.

It is not a good solution to write incorrect ReplayGain info to the metadata.

TheFlyingCelt
New User

Post by TheFlyingCelt » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Thank you