Convert DSF files from ripped SACD to FLAC

Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

Hart2Hart
New User

Convert DSF files from ripped SACD to FLAC

Post by Hart2Hart » Mon May 16, 2022 1:05 am

I've been researching the conversion of DSF files that I ripped from my SACDs to FLAC format. I've been through FFMPEG and many other programs but they are all multifunction and command line intensive as they perform so many video and audio functions. It appears that FFMPEG is a time tested DeFacto standard but I want something more straight forward and EZ CD Convertor appears to be a good possibility. I've downloaded for the 21-day trial and done a little testing

Can you confirm some settings to ensure I'm going down the right path when starting from DSS 64 files to FLAC. Conversion settings are

o FLAC
o 24 bit
o Auto or 5.1 or Stereo / haven't tested if auto will mirror what is in the DSF file. I ripped both stereo and multichannel.
0 96000 Hz
0 5 or (0) Uncompressed based on testing with my audio equipment to ensure no lag is introduced in playback as flac is lossless -- right?

Some other questions --

o I've seen mention that the gain should be increased by 4 to 6dB. Where is this setting? Is it Replay Gain so each track is measured and set individually?

o Given very high frequency of DSS files, there can be high frequency noise introduced during conversion to flac so others recommend having a low pass filter of about 24,000 or 25,000Hz. How is this handled in the product?

o On same note as above is dithering needed and if so how does the product reflect it?

Do I need to do anything with DSP settings?

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Convert DSF files from ripped SACD to FLAC

Post by poiko » Mon May 16, 2022 11:16 am

DSD64 equivalent audio quality in PCM is 24-bit 96000 Hz

Auto channels will use source number of channels

FLAC compression level does not matter as the compression is always lossless, default 5 is a compromise between file size and decoding complexicity (speed, portable device battery life)

Althought the default DSD to PCM conversion is already very high quality, you can turn on the ultra high quality from the Settings, it will provide even lower noise levels but it is slower

dsd-pcm-noise-level.png
dsd-pcm-noise-level.png (10.33 KiB) Viewed 361 times
DSD64 to PCM noise levels

The gain is automatically handled so that in DSD to PCM, and PCM to DSD conversions the exact same loudness is preserved

There is low pass filter set to 30 kHz in DSD64 to PCM conversion, so the high frequency noise created by DSD modulation is efficiently silenced

In my opinion the dithering is not needed when you convert to 24-bit (but can be turned on in the Settings). There is bit depth reduction from 64-bit floating point to 24-bit integer in your case but the quantization noise is absolutely minimum when you convert to 24-bit. Dithering would be ok if you'd convert to 16-bit

No need for adjust any DSP settings

Hart2Hart
New User

Post by Hart2Hart » Mon May 16, 2022 2:49 pm

poiko, thank you!

Hart2Hart
New User

Post by Hart2Hart » Mon May 16, 2022 3:15 pm

Your product is absolutely what I was searching for. It’s taking care of very high quality without needing me to be an expert. Count me in for a purchase!

One more question… for my use case, should I use Default or Steep Passband and should it be combined with any Aliasing?

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue May 17, 2022 9:10 am

Sample Rate Converter settings explained:

https://www.poikosoft.com/music-converter-audio-engine

I think the Default Passband is good for the DSD64 to PCM conversion

Hart2Hart
New User

Post by Hart2Hart » Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm

Glad to now be a purchaser. Thanks for your assistance.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed May 18, 2022 5:24 pm

Hart2Hart wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:48 pm Glad to now be a purchaser. Thanks for your assistance.
Thank you for your support