More supported metadata tags in auto file generation

Request new software features

Moderator: poiko

nut4squirrel
New User

More supported metadata tags in auto file generation

Post by nut4squirrel » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:58 am

I would like to have more of the already supported metadata tags supported by the auto file generation template. The following I would like the following added: publisher, encodedby.

Thank you,
Alan

adamj777
New User

Re: More supported metadata tags in auto file generation

Post by adamj777 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:46 pm

I would like to give more fuel to this topic. Would it be possible to support Any/All tags as template variables? This would allow maximum flexibility and forward compatibility. It would also allow users to make use of custom tags.

One example is a multi-CD set. Each volume may have a subtitle or volume title. In Vorbis comments, there are some additional recommended tags that can be used to chart this information. PART, GROUPING, VOLUME, OPUS, etc. I tend to use VOLUME. So, for example, if I wanted to rip a 3-volume box set, I would not have to make extremely long Album titles to accommodate.

My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set
Volume 1: Rare singles and unreleased songs
Volume 2: Digitally Remastered Hits
Volume 3: Live in Concert, Switzerland, 1978

Most players will not make use of additional tags to sort these track. Most often, one would have to rip these with 3 different album titles in order for players to sort them correctly:
ALBUM: My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set (Disc1)
ALBUM: My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set (Disc2)
ALBUM: My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set (Disc3)
or
ALBUM: My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set (Rare singles and unreleased songs)
ALBUM: My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set (Digitally Remastered Hits)
ALBUM: My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set (Live in Concert, Switzerland, 1978)

Still, even though players will sort these correctly, they often will not display them completely because they are so long. They would show up as:
ALBUM: My Favorite Band, The SuperDeluxe Edit...

So, I tend to make use of the VOLUME tag so that I can organize the files. That way, if my player can't sort the songs in its database, I can at least resort to filename view. In such a case, all songs from each disc in the above example would be tagged:
ARTIST: My Favorite Band
ALBUM: The SuperDeluxe Edition Box Set
VOLUME: Rare singles and unreleased songs
DISCNUMBER: 1
DISCTOTAL: 3

VOLUME: Digitally Remastered Hits
DISCNUMBER: 2

VOLUME: Live in Concert, Switzerland, 1978
DISCNUMBER: 3

If I were able to use the VOLUME tag during the ripping process, I could build a path that includes the Volume name. I realize this is just a personal preference but my point is that by making ANY tag usable as a template variable, the program realizes maximum flexibility for users' preferences. Of course, this would apply mostly to converting since the tags would have to be present in the source to be read from.