Audio Tracks' Selection Before Converting From Videos

Request new software features

Moderator: poiko

fluorine
New User

Audio Tracks' Selection Before Converting From Videos

Post by fluorine » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:37 am

Hello, I think the already available feature of converting internal audio tracks from video files (MKV, MP4, etc.) is really useful, but
it would be even better if there was the chance of actually being able to select the specific track/s one is wishing to convert, instead the
program pick just the first one it detects from a given container. That way, let's say I have a MKV video file with one main "DTS" audio track (01); an "AC-3" compatibility track (02); another "isolated" effects "AC-3" track (03) and finally, a "MP3" dubbing track (04); they all should be listed once the container was analyzed, thus allowing to choose one or more of them.

Thanks.

fluorine
New User

Re: Audio Tracks' Selection Before Converting From Videos

Post by fluorine » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:07 am

Since there was not even a glimpse signal of a reply, I don't know if the developer noticed about this. :roll: Anyway, I hope
this is implemented some time in a near future, since having to use additional third-party programs just to demux the specific needed tracks before being able to process them with this program, is not only a really annoying but an unnecessarily time consuming, extra task, as well. :)

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:20 am

Noted.

I think it selects now the track with best audio quality (e.g. DTS over AC3). The current decoder API does not have a feature for selecting track from the source file, but of course it will be possible to improve the decoder API and user interface to support it. It will be easy to select any audio track from the video file in the decoder, but it takes some time, some more work to do the client (UI) side.

fluorine
New User

Post by fluorine » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:57 am

I see, thanks for your explanation.

Last night, I converted some "MKV" file which had a "FLAC" and a lossy "AC3" audio tracks, and the program automatically selected the lossy "AC3" one. Then I tested some "MKV" with "DTS" lossless and "AC3" lossy tracks on them, and "AC3" was still being selected by default. So, it must be using another criteria to make the selections, and not one related to the audio quality.

By the way, I had to repeat the job (demux/conversion) twice with that last file I worked with, since by mistake I converted the automatically selected "AC3" audio track on the first attempt, which was a "commentary". :oops:

It would be a quite useful feature to count on. :)