Metadata Editor for Audio Files
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

mitebbots
Bronze
Bronze

Tagging box set more than 100 CDs

Post by mitebbots » Mon May 11, 2020 9:18 pm

I just purchased the Tag Editor. I like the GD3 and better tag support.

I originally ripped the CDs to single .ape/.cue files 106 Classical CDs. folders/file names are all CD01, CD02, etc.

Original CDs are not available.

I renamed the folders to 001,002,003 etc., to get them in order.

to get them as multiple files in Flac, I used EZ CD Audio Converter, luckily Freedb finds the names of the files.

I am using: <<Album Artist> - ><<Album>>\<CD<Disc Number>>\<<Number>. ><Title> and renaming the file names.

the folder structure is slightly different on some rips. sometimes I get a separate folder for each rip with "[Disc 2] at the end of folder, other times I get: <<Album Artist> - ><<Album>>\<CD<Disc Number>>

I'm confused on CD disc number naming. seems I have to do this manually and I don't want to redo everything after CD99.

on Disc # should I have 1/106, 001/106, CD 01, CD02, Disc 1, Disc 2, CD001, CD002, Disc 001, Disc 002?

I think GD3 was able to find correctly after changing one field and it added the actual recording date, I would like to have that if possible. working on that. lol

thanks for the great software and stay safe.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tagging box set more than 100 CDs

Post by poiko » Thu May 14, 2020 2:06 pm

<Album Artist> - <Album>\<CD<Disc Number>>\<Number>. <Title>
Is valid when you want to create "CD1", "CD2", etc sub-folder under "ALBUM ARTIST - ALBUM" folder. No sub-folder is created if the Disc # tag is empty.
the folder structure is slightly different on some rips. sometimes I get a separate folder for each rip with "[Disc 2] at the end of folder, other times I get: <<Album Artist> - ><<Album>>\<CD<Disc Number>>
If you get "[Disc 2]" to the end of the base folder "ALBUM ARTIST - ALBUM" then the Album Title you received from online database already have "[Disc 2]" included in the end of the Album Title. You need to edit it manually removing the "[Disc 2]" from the Album Title.
on Disc # should I have 1/106, 001/106, CD 01, CD02, Disc 1, Disc 2, CD001, CD002, Disc 001, Disc 002?
Disc # tag DISC#/TOTALDISCS can only contain numbers. E.g. 1/106, 2/106, and so on. TOTALDISCS field can also be empty if this metadata is not needed in files or in filename creation.

mitebbots
Bronze
Bronze

Post by mitebbots » Thu May 14, 2020 7:02 pm

I decided to just go: <<Album>>\<<Number>. ><Title> putting CD01, CD02, etc in the album title. I hope that stays in order after CD99.

I'll put all the CDs in a folder with name of box set.

I use EZ CD Audio converter to convert and rename files since Freedb finds data.

so far have not been able to find the box set in EZ Meta Tag Editor, the only way I have found with other tag editors is searching by Discogs release ID: r:13902342. no luck finding with GD3.

I was just hoping to get a performance date as opposed to the release date (Sony 2018).

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Thu May 14, 2020 7:39 pm

If there is more than 100 CDs you will need to use three numbers e.g. CD001, CD002, etc if you want to list them in alphabetical order.

mitebbots
Bronze
Bronze

Post by mitebbots » Fri May 15, 2020 1:09 am

when I try to tag in 3 different editors using Discogs release ID it's a huge just mess of files from all different CDs. even one CD at a time isn't possible in the "other" tag editors. I can not get EZ Meta Tag Editor to find without the Discogs release ID search.

Discogs data is off or just doesn't line up in the other editors.

in EZ Meta Tag Editor GD3 finally found each album and is cleaning up the tags. no recording date tho.

happy to say, EZ Meta Tag Editor was the best of the bunch.

most of the work was done with EZ CD Audio Converter, Freedb found the box set and I was able to convert to single FLAC files with file names.

I'm still tagging here, I seem to have some time at home lately.

Thank you again