[ Fixed ] Read errors in Error Detection mode

Tell us if the software is behaving badly

Moderator: poiko

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Read errors in Error Detection mode / split

Post by poiko » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:51 pm

thexfile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:17 am Updated..

My freakout is over. 😄
:shock: :D

Normal situation, clean Windows install, there is no filter drivers. Sometimes (buggy) filter drivers installed by some cd dvd bd software will cause problems with other software.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Read errors in Error Detection mode / split

Post by poiko » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:56 pm

retierney: Did you try this ?

* Link gone *

Can you try the devfilter.exe app posted earlier and send the screenshot of upper/lower filter drivers ? Thanks.

Does it work in Error Detection / Compatibility mode ? It uses the exact same routine as normal Compatibility mode but reads the data in smaller blocks off the drive.

I just ordered all the reported drives.

Asus DRW-24B1ST
Lite-On Premium DH-16AFSH-PREMM2
Lite-On IHAS324
Screenshot_20190217-174417_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190217-174417_Chrome.jpg (82.41 KiB) Viewed 760 times
We'll see what happens.

thexfile
Gold
Gold

Re: Read errors in Error Detection mode

Post by thexfile » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 pm

DVD/CD Tower V with eSATA/USB 3.0
https://www.addonics.com/products/st5dvreu3.php

:shock: :lol:

thenumber99
New User

Post by thenumber99 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm

"Are you saying that Error Detection normal mode works in v8.1 but not in v8.1.1 ? When I look at the small changes I made to the v8.1.1 it seems to be very odd."

Correct.

I am getting a number of read errors when ripping starts. I can't complete any tracks, as the drive spinning up and down and puts the ETA for a rip at hours. I have tried different tracks, but the screenshots below are based on the first track. Turning off error detection and ripping works.

I tried your custom exe and the issue persists with it.

I ran your dev filter software (screenshot also enclosed). Originally I had slysoft's anydvd listed. I've ran this software for years (before I bought your program), but just for the sake of documentation, I removed it. The issue continued, and the screenshots of the ripping were taken after it was removed.

Per your second post, I ran the update from intel's site. I skipped wireless and bluetooth drivers, updated "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver for Intel® 5th/6th Generation Platforms" from 14.8.1.1043 to 14.8.16.1063.

My (new) drive is a IHAS124-14.

Screenshots are here: https://imgur.com/a/ulpIL39

Thank you for looking into the issue - I understand it's hard to troubleshoot when a pc can have any number of drivers/components, etc.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:52 pm

I have ordered the Lite-On IHAS124-14 also.

It will help me a lot to discover the problem when I am able to test these drives on my computer.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:07 pm

(I did not receive the new drives yet, but I was able to identify the error conditions based on error reporting, code, and feedback)

Preliminary Fix available.

Applies to the problematic drives. At least the following:
Asus DRW-24B1ST
Lite-On IHAS124
Lite-On IHAS324
Some PLDS drives
Possibly few more

Download

* link gone *

thenumber99
New User

Post by thenumber99 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:23 am

Tentative thumbs up! After installing, I kept my defaults of both Enable error detection and Compatibility mode checked, and had the same problem as before. HOWEVER, I then unchecked compatibility mode (leaving Enable Error detection checked) and was able to successfully rip an entire cd with zero errors across the board. I've kicked off a second cd, and am up to track 6 currently.

This may be an extremely minor bug, and I don't personally care if it's fixed, but just as an FYI: With the new drive installed, the program defaulted to "default" rip speed. With this latest install, the drive ran full speed (IE loud, obviously spinning fast), yet the rip itself was only about 9-10X speed. I don't normally rip at default (afraid older cds might come apart at high speeds), so I set it back to 24x (which I normally rip at). The drive is considerably quieter (almost unheard) and is still at 9-10x speed. For me, this is a non issue (I prefer a lower speed anyway), but just in case someone mentions it later...

Thank you for looking into this! I appreciate your help!

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:20 am

thenumber99 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:23 am Tentative thumbs up! After installing, I kept my defaults of both Enable error detection and Compatibility mode checked, and had the same problem as before. HOWEVER, I then unchecked compatibility mode (leaving Enable Error detection checked) and was able to successfully rip an entire cd with zero errors across the board. I've kicked off a second cd, and am up to track 6 currently.

This may be an extremely minor bug, and I don't personally care if it's fixed, but just as an FYI: With the new drive installed, the program defaulted to "default" rip speed. With this latest install, the drive ran full speed (IE loud, obviously spinning fast), yet the rip itself was only about 9-10X speed. I don't normally rip at default (afraid older cds might come apart at high speeds), so I set it back to 24x (which I normally rip at). The drive is considerably quieter (almost unheard) and is still at 9-10x speed. For me, this is a non issue (I prefer a lower speed anyway), but just in case someone mentions it later...

Thank you for looking into this! I appreciate your help!
Good to hear. I will receive my new drives on Thursday ! :D So I will be able to test the behavior better.

Meanwhile, do you mind testing this version:

* link gone *

It uses a different approach, it may rip faster in normal C2 Error Detection mode and the Compatibility mode should work too.

thexfile
Gold
Gold

Post by thexfile » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:15 pm

All three drives read errors on my CRC Test disc.
ez_cd_audio_converter_setup_pre_fix2.exe

BDR-209UBK Pioneer
BW-16D1HT ASUS
WH14NS40 LG

Capture.errors.PNG
Capture.errors.PNG (16.39 KiB) Viewed 702 times

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm

thexfile wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:15 pm All three drives read errors on my CRC Test disc.
Meaning the test disc has intentional errrors and they are detected correctly, right ?

thexfile
Gold
Gold

Post by thexfile » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Yeap,
Everything is good. :D

thenumber99
New User

Post by thenumber99 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:41 am

Using pre_fix2.exe, I changed the drive to "default" speed. It started around 20X, and ended around 45X speed.
new exe.jpg
new exe.jpg (38.59 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Just for giggles, I turned compatibility mode back on. It works as well, but is a bit slower, and seems to max out around 9x.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:28 am

Awesome ! :D

Now I can say that the original failure of the Error Detection mode on these particular drives is a failure of the drive/firmware.

All previously failing drives are manufactured by Lite-On. Problematic drives include few Lite-On branded drives, Asus DRW-B1L1ST, some PLDS and hp PLDS (slimtype found on laptops/allinone PCs only ?), couple of Plextor branded Lite-On, may be few more. PLDS confirmed by an user via email.

Now this is the permanent fix that will make the Error Detection work on all these drives.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Released v8.2. Problem gone forever.

It was a bug in some drives/firmwares but it does not matter because it is now fixed.

Error detection mode now works with the same method for all drives.

Oatisp
New User

Re: [ Fixed ] Read errors in Error Detection mode

Post by Oatisp » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 am

Hello, I just received the new update 8.2.0 and now all's I get is massive sync/data errors. I was ripping to MP3 MPEG Layer 3. It was working fine the last time I ripped a few days ago. It has to be the update causing this. The 4 disc's I ripped are brand new never played yet and all are getting the errors. Please Advise, thanks!