DSD encoder - How to apply gain without "normalising"?

Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

Dave54321
New User

DSD encoder - How to apply gain without "normalising"?

Post by Dave54321 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:52 pm

Hi

I want to convert an album of DXD (24-bit / 352.8kHz) tracks to DSD64 (.dsf). I have done this with nice results, but the resulting tracks are all 6.05dB quieter than the originals. I don't want to apply normalisation, i.e. I want to retain the original album and song dynamics and do not want all of the tracks to peak at the same level. Is there a way of applying simple gain, e.g. +6dB, to all of the tracks when converting??

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to apply gain without "normalising"?

Post by poiko » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:16 am

DSD files follow the SACD standard that requires that the audio signals must be encoded at -6dB level. You won't lose any dynamic range.

fuddrich
New User

Re: DSD encoder - How to apply gain without "normalising"?

Post by fuddrich » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:20 pm

I am currently evaluating this software. From your reply, does this mean that all SACD`s are "album gain" normalised and therefore there is no need to apply "normalisation" to unaltered SACD dsf files relative to other SACD albums? Also, there is no Help explanation regarding DSP Options for the selection of "Normal" or "Single File". How does one select normalisation of a folder based on Album Gain rather than individual Track Gain? There are information columns for both of these terms on the GUI but no information is presented.