EZCD has problems loading CDs that are inserted when it's running (problem solved)

Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help
jmain33
New User

EZCD has problems loading CDs that are inserted when it's running (problem solved)

Post by jmain33 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:35 am

While using this software to rip CDs I have encountered an issue, in which, the program refuses to load the disc(s). I have been using EZ-CD-AC since before it was called this - likely longer than a decade; I now own two licenses. Starting recently ~ at least since version 11.4.1 (I'm now on 11.5.0) ~ I have run into the afore mentioned issue.

When already open, >50% of the time, it fails to load the CDs I insert into my disc drive. If I close the program - with the same disc(s) in the dive - then re-launch it, the disc will be read and loaded fine. This unintended behavior occurs regardless of the disc (I have inserted discs from several record labels and artists). I have been using this optical drive since October of 2022 without previously having had this issue, and having used EZ-CD-AC to rip over 100 CDS. The discs are present in my OS once inserted, so it doesn't seem to be an issue with the drive or my PC.

Sometimes there is an attempt to load the discs, which may fail or succeed. Other times it doesn't even seem to recognize a disc has been inserted/re-inserted several times over. Once EZCD fails to load a disc, the habit persists until I re-launch the application.

Your program is and has always been great. I hope this bump in the road is easily resolved.

Thanks,
Jermain

My PC is a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 tablet running Windows 11 Home 23H2 Build 22631.3007.
The disc drive is an external (USB connected) LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM_GP65NS60_RF01.
poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EZCD has problems loading CDs that are inserted when it's running

Post by poiko » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:25 am

I have not seen this behaviour on my PCs.

Anyone else seeing this ?

Can you try with an another CD Ripper ? For example exactaudicopy ? To see whether it happens there also

CD Ripper's disc detection code has not been changed.

I will investigate if there is something that would cause such a problem.
thexfile
Gold
Gold

Post by thexfile » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:16 pm

I'm not having any issues opening/closing my LG drives. Internal or external.

Maybe jmain33 could post an image.
CD settings.png
CD settings.png (16.58 KiB) Viewed 278 times
It could be the USB cable not making a good connection.
jmain33
New User

Post by jmain33 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 am

Sorry to have taken so long in responding to your replies… the forum was supposed to send notifications to my e-mail, but they never came.

Since my OP, I managed to put the ripping process through some trial and error, and managed to find out exactly what was going wrong. Recently, I made the change of connecting several devices to my PC through a USB hub. But the hub nor the cables were the source of the EZCD disc recognition issues - as you probably knew from my original observation of the drive being detected in my OS. Getting right down to it; the hub had a speaker connected that would, repeatedly, cause the entire unit to dis/re-connect. This is/was entirely due to the speakers itself (it had this behavior even before I bought the hub). {In addendum: The disconnections weren't happening while the program was processing discs; that's something I would have never have faulted EZCD for}

Essentially, EZCD's problem was with the disc drive making a connection to the computer while it's process was already active. That's why re-launching EZCD, once again, made reading the discs possible. My method of verification was simply disconnecting and reconnecting the drive with EZCD open; and this was confirmed without the use of the hub as a connector. I'm sure this is a manner of working you designed and a limitation you are already aware of Poiko. So, there is no bug or unintended defect in your program.

Although not by any means essential, and I don't know how feasible it would be, I would recommend allowing the software to detect if a drive has been connected when an instance (it's process) is active.

Thanks for taking the time to address the issue I was experiencing, Poiko; and rest well, knowing you haven't allowed a major flaw to present itself into your application.
poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EZCD has problems loading CDs that are inserted when it's running (problem solved)

Post by poiko » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:28 pm

EZ CD Audio Converter detects drives on start up only. I will see if it can be improved to detect drive removal/addition when the process is running.