Return of features lost from Easy to EZ

Request new software features

Moderator: poiko

greenleroy
Bronze
Bronze

Return of features lost from Easy to EZ

Post by greenleroy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 am

Even though I own the newer EZ CD Audio Converter, I find that I still primarily use my older Easy CD-DA Extractor for MP3 processing because of two features which I find paramount to working with audio files. These challenges all exist with the version 7.2.1.

First: The older software would allow you to double click on a song and it would launch your OS defined external audio player (essentially the equivalent of double-clicking from an explorer window). In the newer software, I can find absolute no way to play or listen to a song from within the application. This is quite frustrating since I now must move between the software and an explorer window to play a song, which is important to determining genre and other info to be tagged. In the newer EZ software when you double click, you get a window that pops which seems to give you direct edit control over all of the Metadata, which is COOL, since in the older version it was essentially impossible to remove certain metadata at all (like replay gain data from songs mis-assigned to an album for example see below). My suggestion is that there be a way to play the song from within the application, perhaps using the file "Note" icon (just prior to the filename) or another icon which can be clickable to launch the external audio player.

Second: This is an extremely annoying challenge with the newer software. Whenever I click the "Load" button to add Album art, it always starts me in the folder where the selected file (or the LAST file if multiple are selected) is located. Even when I navigate to another folder (in this case the folder where I keep all of my album art), it fails to remember that as the last folder I was working from. The older software Easy CDDA had no challenge with this, and remembered the last folder persistently (even between uses) AS WELL AS the last focus item in that explorer window. For example, if the last area of focus was the search box, then when I clicked load a second time, it not only remembered the last folder, but it also remembered that my cursor focus was on the search box in the upper right corner. PLEASE add this back. It is highly inefficient for those users who organize their album art in a specific location, and it has essentially zero impact on users who store album art in multiple locations but most importantly, maintaining last folder explorer persistence is a standard practice.

Finally: This I have not tested thoroughly, however it would appear that if you REMOVE all Album info for a file (so it is an empty metadata field) and then rescan ReplayGain, it does NOT remove the prior recorded Album ReplayGain from that file. It keeps the older entry, and requires additional steps to removing that album gain and album peak data. This should be corrected.

I do like the newer software, and since the older Easy CDDA does not tag RATING info on M4a files properly, I use the newer software to finalize my M4A's rating info, but still use the older software because it is far more efficient and still runs perfectly.

Thanks

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Return of features lost from Easy to EZ

Post by poiko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:41 am

Small things matters.

I can add right-click, "Play in external Player".

I will take a look at the Load button. It may be a Windows thing also, but I can make it to remember previous locations.

It should not leave any Gain data behind if it written in metadata. Is this with m4a file format only ?

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:23 am

greenleroy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 am Finally: This I have not tested thoroughly, however it would appear that if you REMOVE all Album info for a file (so it is an empty metadata field) and then rescan ReplayGain, it does NOT remove the prior recorded Album ReplayGain from that file. It keeps the older entry, and requires additional steps to removing that album gain and album peak data. This should be corrected.
Scan ReplayGain calculates the AlbumGain / AlbumPeak again (within same album artist, album title).

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:24 am

greenleroy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 am First: The older software would allow you to double click on a song and it would launch your OS defined external audio player (essentially the equivalent of double-clicking from an explorer window). In the newer software, I can find absolute no way to play or listen to a song from within the application. This is quite frustrating since I now must move between the software and an explorer window to play a song, which is important to determining genre and other info to be tagged. In the newer EZ software when you double click, you get a window that pops which seems to give you direct edit control over all of the Metadata, which is COOL, since in the older version it was essentially impossible to remove certain metadata at all (like replay gain data from songs mis-assigned to an album for example see below). My suggestion is that there be a way to play the song from within the application, perhaps using the file "Note" icon (just prior to the filename) or another icon which can be clickable to launch the external audio player.
Added:
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (11.54 KiB) Viewed 676 times

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:42 pm

greenleroy wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 am Second: This is an extremely annoying challenge with the newer software. Whenever I click the "Load" button to add Album art, it always starts me in the folder where the selected file (or the LAST file if multiple are selected) is located. Even when I navigate to another folder (in this case the folder where I keep all of my album art), it fails to remember that as the last folder I was working from. The older software Easy CDDA had no challenge with this, and remembered the last folder persistently (even between uses) AS WELL AS the last focus item in that explorer window. For example, if the last area of focus was the search box, then when I clicked load a second time, it not only remembered the last folder, but it also remembered that my cursor focus was on the search box in the upper right corner. PLEASE add this back. It is highly inefficient for those users who organize their album art in a specific location, and it has essentially zero impact on users who store album art in multiple locations but most importantly, maintaining last folder explorer persistence is a standard practice.
I tested this a lot (few hours, little headache) and my ultimate outcome is to use the standard Windows behaviour just like you want. If I change the Open-location programmability to the source folder of the audio file in the list it affects all Open and Save As dialogs and that's not how a Windows app should work. Windows itself keeps the track of the last used folder for the program even thought the computer is restarted between.

greenleroy
Bronze
Bronze

Post by greenleroy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Just tested the last folder improvement and voila, your change seems to have done the trick! Unbelievably responsive!

greenleroy
Bronze
Bronze

Post by greenleroy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Ok, I also tested the other two modifications.

First. The "Play" feature on the context menu works great, and is a decent two-click solution that replaces the old left double-click, Thank you!

Second: The changes to the Album gain/peak change did not have the desired effect. Now, files with an empty Album field are getting album gain/peak data processed based upon a blank field

Example: If I load an album of songs, say 10 songs, which have not had ReplayGain processed on any of them, so all gain metadata is blank... and before processing RG, I remove the album metadata from a single song, so that in the album field, there is nothing... Then I process RG, each song will have RG metadata in the album peak/gain fields EXCEPT for the one song which had nothing in the album field. This is the desired outcome of having no album data, that there is no album peak/gain data at all, because there is nothing to compare the song to.

If I attempt to reprocess songs with RG data already embedded, and I simply remove the album metadata from one of the songs and re-process the files with RG, then the song with the empty album data field does not have Album gain/peak data removed, but instead it has it updated with new album gain/peak data based upon the name of the album being "" nothing or blank. So if I comingle multiple files from different sources (for which none of them have any album data at all) into a single RG process, they get identified as being from the same album, with a "" blank title.

I do some light web code and so based on that I think basic logic should go, that if the len(trim('Album') is null then 'AlbumGain'=null and 'AlbumPeak'=null, and so those fields get nulled out.

Thanks!

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 pm

I did not make any changes to Scan ReplayGain. I will check this behaviour. It will be no trivial to add Scan for TrackGain only.

I think it is done now so that if the Album Artist and Album Title matches, then the AlbumGain is scanned for the set. I will confirm the behaviour later.

I was also thinking why not to save the working folder separately for different Open and Save As dialogs, I will test how it would work.

greenleroy
Bronze
Bronze

Post by greenleroy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Just to be clear on my testing... When I process a fresh set of files which have no RG data in them at all, and where one or more of those files has null in the Album field, the RG process does NOT add any data to the AlbumGain/AlbumPeak fields at all? The challenge only exists with files that already have RG data in them. thanks!

Also, anyway to make the new "Play" functionality work with multiple files selected, to send a playlist to the external file player... similar to the way windows explorer does it?