General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

SLoweCSL
Bronze
Bronze

CD Ripper, Drive Read Errors

Post by SLoweCSL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi,

I noticed a trend since moving to 8.x with regards to cd ripping. I continue to receive drive read errors on every cd I try to rip, but only on say one track. I utilize an external USB 3 Blu-ray burner from Pioneer. I have ensured it has the latest firmware as well.

Every time I rip a cd, I get at least one track with a drive read error. I have ensured each CD is clean with no scratches and I wipe them down with a clean microfiber cloth.

I always have my drive settings set to "Enable Error Detection" and the drive (Pioneer BD-RW DBR-XS06 1.10) says it supports C2 Pointers and CD-DA Stream is Accurate. I have also set verify audio and data to enabled.

I have been able to overcome the drive read error, only by enabling Compatibility Mode on error detection for those tracks that fail.

I tried to rip the cd's with another external drive and received the same drive read errors, always overcome by the much slower compatibility mode setting. I am now using 8.0.2, having had the same issue with 8.0.0 and 8.0.1.

What is my best course of action as I have tried 3 different external DVD drives for this laptop?

Thanks and keep up the great work.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CD Ripper, Drive Read Errors

Post by poiko » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:52 pm

What is the time position of the Read Error? Can be seen from the Ripping Log. Is it always at the begin or end of the rip ?

SLoweCSL
Bronze
Bronze

Post by SLoweCSL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:59 pm

More often than not it is the first track that fails to read and the rest rip fine, though I have had them fail somewhere in the middle of the disc.

Thanks

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:54 pm

EZ CD Audio Converter reports a READ ERROR when the drive reports any of the following errors:

3 / 11 / 00 UNRECOVERED READ ERROR
3 / 11 / 01 READ RETRIES EXHAUSTED
3 / 11 / 02 ERROR TOO LONG TO CORRECT
3 / 11 / 05 L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR
3 / 11 / 06 CIRC UNRECOVERED ERROR

So the actual problem is that the drive is failing to read the data from the disc without errors.

Maybe you can set the reading speed slower (e.g. 8X or 4X) to overcome this issue ? To get correct ripping result.

EZ CD Audio Converter writes the exact time position of the Read Error to the Ripping Log. So if you are not able to get the rip without errors, you can play the track at the Read Error position and hear if the error actually is audible.

SLoweCSL
Bronze
Bronze

Post by SLoweCSL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:05 pm

I will give that a try.

Thank you

fckco
New User

Post by fckco » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Por siempre y para siempre..

Se ha recomendado ripear a las "mas baja velocidad" de lectura
que permita la lectora, para evitar fallos de lectura.

Y tambien recuerda el limite de velocidad del puerto USB 2.0 (480 Mbps o 4MB/s). En USB 3.0 el maximo es 4.8 Gbps.

En una transferencia de datos a mayor velocidad, mayor probabilidad de errores de lectura...

Saludos!!!
---------------------------------------------------------
Tranlate:

Forever and always..

It has been recommended to rip at the "lowest speed" reading
that the reader allows, to avoid reading mistakes.

And also remember the speed limit of the USB 2.0 port (480 Mbps or 4MB/s). In USB 3.0 the maximum is 4.8 Gbps.

In a higher speed data transfer, higher probability of reading errors ...

Regards!!!