Metadata Editor for Audio Files
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

Hourglass94
Bronze
Bronze

Renumbering Files

Post by Hourglass94 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Is it possible to renumber files in a list?

By this I mean:

I am making a compilation of tracks from different artists and albums.

There are some duplicate track numbers and some which are missing like 1,3,5 which I would like to renumber 1, 2, 3 etc.

I see this could be done manually but would take a lot of time so is there a way to automate it?

TIA

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Renumbering Files

Post by poiko » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Files in the list are always sorted by some property. Default is by filename.

There could be an auto-numbering feature but the files would be numbered in alphabetical order.

If you would like to number the tracks in the certain order, would you tell me how the auto-numbering should work ?

There is a quite fast way of numbering the tracks; Click on the track # field, enter the number, hit the enter and it automatically goes to next file track # field. And you can use arrow-up/down buttons to navigate between the files. And a click on the # header will sort the files in track# order.

Hourglass94
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Hourglass94 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:49 am

Thanks for the reply.

I might have described what I meant wrongly. It would probably be better described as autofill track number.

How I would see the feature working is similar to dedicated tagging programs.

1. Select the files you want to renumber.

2. Click a button and a dialog appears with a box to select the number to start the autofill from and a check box to select xx/xx format if desired.

3. Click OK to start the autofill or Cancel to cancel the process.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Ok. Numbering the files in the order they are showing in the folder ? How about if you want to different order ?

This feature can be implemented but I would like to have a full picture of how it should work. It may be useful if you have many files that needs to be renumbered. A normal album with 10-15 tracks takes a little time to number within the list UI.

Hourglass94
Bronze
Bronze

Post by Hourglass94 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:33 pm

I agree most albums have usually up to about 15 tracks and that's not an issue. Where I would find this most useful is where I save podcasts. I have many folders which contain podcasts of various different subjects I would say the average list contains around 50 items. Many times I can download a podcast to a folder and it's out of sequence to the order I want to listen to it mainly because the content applies to to a different area of the list. So for example if there are ~50 files and I download a file that should be numbered 8 it's a big task to renumber the files. If you do it once in a while it's no big deal but if you have to do it on a regular basis it becomes a pain.

I don't think for one moment this will be top of your implementation list but if it could be considered for implemetaion at some stage that would be great.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks. I will figure it out. I will find a way to add smart auto- or semi-auto- numbering.