General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

blabibo
Bronze
Bronze

Using DSP to normalize sound

Post by blabibo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi,

I have a buch of audio files that have different volume levels. I'd like to have the same volume for all of them but without clipping the sound obviously. It looks like I can do that using the DSP module of EZCD. But what settings should I choose?

- default is 95 dB. Would that be enough for all files? Or should I aim higher, like 100 dB? Or more?
- "prevent clipping" option turned on of course. But Am I sure that there won't be any clipping?
- what about songs that are already at maximum level, with their track peak at 100% and a waveform that looks like a brick (I hate that but that's the way mastering is done these days sadly)? Would they be changed in any way with DSP on?

Thanks in advance for all the answers you can give me :)

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Using DSP to normalize sound

Post by poiko » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:54 pm

95 dB is best for pop/rock music.

It never clips if clip prevention is enabled but the dB level may not reach 95dB for all music with clip prevention.

It may be better to use the ReplayGain reference level 89dB when clipping prevention is enabled.

blabibo
Bronze
Bronze

Post by blabibo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks for the reply :) I did some testing but couldn't get what I wanted.

Here's the original file. The volume could be increased by 2,4 dB without clipping the sound.
Original.jpg
Original.jpg (500.33 KiB) Viewed 446 times

If I normalize to 0 dB using Sound Forge I get this:
Original + SF normalize 0dB.jpg
Original + SF normalize 0dB.jpg (473.48 KiB) Viewed 446 times

I tried DSP on EZCD with 89 dB but the volume ended up lower, so not what I wanted.
If I used 95 dB + prevent clipping, here's what I get:
EZCD+95.jpg
EZCD+95.jpg (500.41 KiB) Viewed 446 times

Not exactly the same as when I normlized with Sound Forge, which is what I'm trying to achieve. The volume here seems louder. I'm guessing the replaygain doesn't apply the volume gain based on the overall volume of the track. But rather it applies 95 dB unless it reaches the clipping limit. Is that a correct assumption? I'm not really familiar with replaygain so my apologies if I'm not using the correct terminology. Hope the screenshots help.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:38 pm

You will not get equal volume (loudness) for different songs with peak level normalization.

If you want equal volume you will need to use ReplayGain normalization and let it clip.

You will get the same result as soundforge if you set the normalization to max db and enable clipping prevention. It works like peak level normalization. However, the volume of different songs will not be equal.

The default 95dB is the same setting as ReplayGain compatible players are usually using. Base level 89dB + 6dB preamp.

If you can use a ReplayGain compatible player then you may just want to add ReplayGain metadata to the files.

blabibo
Bronze
Bronze

Post by blabibo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Thank you for the explanations :)
poiko wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:38 pm If you can use a ReplayGain compatible player then you may just want to add ReplayGain metadata to the files.
I think that would be the easiest. I will have my new phone next week, I'll see if the default player has ReplayGain.

edit: Scratch that, it didn't make sense.