[ Solved-Fixed ] Conversion Not Completing From MP3/M4A/M4B To M4B When Time Span Is Over 24 Hours

Tell us if the software is behaving badly

Moderator: poiko

psychosmurf
New User

[ Solved-Fixed ] Conversion Not Completing From MP3/M4A/M4B To M4B When Time Span Is Over 24 Hours

Post by psychosmurf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:13 am

Hi,

I have a few audiobooks that were ripped into individual MP3 files that I was trying to join together into single files for iTunes when I ran across this bug. At least I think it's a bug but I may be wrong and if so, I do sincerely apologize for posting in this forum.

The audiobooks in question are each greater than 24 hours in total length and when converting them on the ".m4b | AAC | Apple" setting at "AAC LC" "VBR" "Q 63", the files join but the joined file is incomplete.

For example, one of my audiobook CD backups of a given book is 27 Hours 37 Minutes in length at 128 kbps when viewed from the perspective of the individual MP3 audio tracks. When I bring all those audio files into EZ CD to join and consequently convert them to VBR (I know it's bad form to go from lossy to lossy but I don't want to re-rip the CDs in lossless, I got lazy) as a single M4B, the tracks join into the single file but the joined file only plays up to the 13 hour 12 minute mark in foobar2000. In other words, only about half the file is playable when I hit this bug and in some cases even less than half.

I did some extensive tests on this and during my testing, I tried several books that were over 24 hours in length with the same result, albeit at different file lengths where the 'failure' occurred. I also tried converting the individual files to different formats and joining them that way with the same result. I have had no problems with files that total less than 24 hours in length. Likewise, once I combined the MP3s of the books in question into two parts (each less than 24 hours), the conversion and joins went flawlessly and the full file was playable. During those latter tests, I was able to convert files that totalled 23 hours 48 minutes into a single M4B file that worked but once I crossed the 24 hour threshold, it began to produce incomplete files again.

Again, if this isn't a bug, I apologize for posting to this forum but it certainly seems like a bug to me. If not a bug, I would certainly expect an error from the application when it tries to convert multiple files into a single file that bypasses some limit that it shouldn't pass.

Please let me know if there is any additional information that's needed and I'll provided whatever I can.

Thanks,
D

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conversion Not Completing From MP3/M4A/M4B To M4B When Time Span Is Over 24 Hours

Post by poiko » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:40 pm

You need to enable 64-bit m4a format from the Options.

32-bit m4a has a filesize limit and EZ CD should report an error if you go beyond the limit.

psychosmurf
New User

Re: Conversion Not Completing From MP3/M4A/M4B To M4B When Time Span Is Over 24 Hours

Post by psychosmurf » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:08 am

Hi Poiko,

Interesting. I'll give this a shot today and see what I come up with and report back.

Thanks for getting back to me.

D

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:57 pm

I have now implemented automatic 32-bit / 64-bit switching to the MPEG-4 ISO (m4a m4b) audio formats.

It will create 32-bit files by default and switch to 64-bit mode for specific MP4 atoms when they exceed 32-bit limits.

I will be able to remove the 32-bit / 64-bit M4A file format settings from the Options because it is no obsolete.

Available in the next update.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [ Solved-Fixed ] Conversion Not Completing From MP3/M4A/M4B To M4B When Time Span Is Over 24 Hours

Post by poiko » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Version 8.1 now available. Now automatic 32/64-bit file mode for M4A M4B formats. Problem gone.