Tell us if the software is behaving badly

Moderator: poiko

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

[ Fixed ] Checkboxes confused

Post by davefox » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:18 am

Running 8.0.7 64-bit on Windows 10.

Two checkbox issues plus a bonus other problem.

#1: I use the checkboxes in the track panel often, and when I check them too quickly, strange things happen. Sometimes the metadata window pops up unexpectedly. When that happens and I close it, the box that I was checking shows checked, but it is filled with light blue. Just the checkbox, not the entire row. If I then rip, the track is NOT ripped despite the check.

On one occasion, I ended up with this checked, blue-filled box, and I couldn't get the track to rip. I tried un-checking, then re-checking, and the X came and went but the blue fill didn't clear, and it still wouldn't rip. I ended up having to eject and reinsert the disc to start over to clear this.

What does a blue-filled checkbox mean and how am I getting it?

#2: If I want to uncheck all the boxes, I sometimes click twice on the checkbox at the top of the column. The idea is that the first click checks all of them and the second click clears them. Again, if I do this too quickly, it leaves them all checked. It acts like it is "losing" one of the clicks, or it's responding to the second click while still processing the first one. After this happens, there is a very good chance that if I then check a box for one of the tracks, I'll get the metadata window and then get into problem #1.

Bonus: I sometimes start ripping and realize that the metadata isn't correct. So I cancel, correct the problem and start ripping again. I'm finding that if I cancel the first rip very shortly after starting it - say, within the first 5 seconds or so - the program leaves the output file in place with a lock on it. When I try to re-rip, I get a file error. I can't delete the output file because it says that the program has it locked. I either have to shut down the program and then delete it, or resort to a super-file-unlocking utility that I have.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Checkboxes confused

Post by poiko » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:59 am

Checkbox issues #1 and #2 fixed for the next update.

I can't replicate the Bonus (file locked). I tried with all output formats. What output format are you using when it happens ?

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm

Thanks for the checkbox fixes.

Did some more fiddling with the file locking issue.

I'm using "verify audio" and am ripping to mp3. If I use the "Single File" profile and cancel the rip while one of the tracks is in the second rip (i.e., while CRC (test) is updating), then a locked output file of 0 bytes remains in the output folder. This orphan file can't be deleted or moved in Windows File Explorer. And if you try to re-start the rip, it throws an "Error creating file" message.

If I cancel during the first rip, then the output file disappears and there's no problem.

I don't have problems if I'm ripping with the "Normal" profile. I do note that if I cancel one of these during the second rip, the output file is not deleted. It remains in the output folder and seems to be a perfectly valid mp3 file, obviously based just on the first rip. I'd prefer that it be deleted in this case. If you specified Verify audio and canceled before the verification was complete, then you don't have a valid file based on your ripping settings.

See if you can duplicate all this. Thanks.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:51 pm

Thank you for the further info.

There was indeed a bug in Audio CD Ripper.

Encoder was not properly deinitialized if the following conditions were true:
1) Verify Audio enabled
2) Single File / Disc Image mode profile selected
3) Multiple files selected
4) Ripping cancelled while in Test CRC ripping

Here's a test version for you:

* temporary download link removed *

Can you confirm all three problems you reported are fixed ? Thank you !

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks! The locked file problem under "Single File" is fixed!

The bit under the "Normal" profile is still the same. If I cancel during the first rip, the output file disappears. If I cancel during the second rip, the output file remains. This output file is not locked, has all the metadata and is identical to the file that I get if I let the second rip complete (with no errors). But this file has not been created with my chosen ripping settings as it hasn't been verified.

Is that the way it should work? If I hit the cancel button, I don't want the output file and don't expect there to be one left around.

Also, if I cancelled because the metadata was incorrect, and the metadata error was in a field that is used for the output filename, then if I correct the error and re-rip, I'll end up with a second file with the different filename. That's not expected either, and I'll have to delete the first file manually. That's not good.

Seems to me that a cancel during first rip should do the same thing as a cancel during second rip (and the same as a cancel without "verify audio") -- remove the file.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:18 pm

Sorry, I forgot about the checkbox issue. That seemed to be a timing issue before, so it's more difficult to test. But I've just been checking and unchecking boxes as fast as I can, and I haven't had the metadata window pop up or seen any mysterious blue-filled boxes, so I think it's fixed. Thanks!

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 pm

The bit under the "Normal" profile is still the same. If I cancel during the first rip, the output file disappears. If I cancel during the second rip, the output file remains.
It is how it is designed to work. The first rip encodes the complete file.

I will evaluate whether I should change the behaviour so that it will delete the file if the test rip is cancelled.

In the Normal profile; if the Normalization is enabled then the first rip is the test rip and second rip is the file.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 am

Thanks, fair enough. I realize that people use the software in many different ways, and I can see why you wanted to make the first rip independent when you added the verify feature. I am having trouble, though, figuring out why anyone would want a second-rip cancellation to keep the first rip file around. I doubt that many people even know that it behaves this way.

If there is a reason for wanting it that way, could "verification cancellation handling" be an option that appears under Verify Audio on the Drive Settings page?

Thanks again for the quick fixes on the other problems, and for the software in general. I do a lot of ripping, and EZCD has been a trusty, valued friend for many years now. Regards,

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 am

I changed it so that it deletes the file if test-crc rip is cancelled.