AAC missing Auto option for channels

Request new software features

Moderator: poiko

PHloGiSTo
Bronze
Bronze

AAC missing Auto option for channels

Post by PHloGiSTo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:50 pm

So i finally upgraded from 6.1 to 8.1 and noticed that the .aac, .m4a, and .m4b AAC encoder settings don't have an Auto option for the channels, i have to choose Stereo/Mono/5.1. Is it possible to add this option so that the resulting encode will have the appropriate number of channels based on the source?

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AAC missing Auto option for channels

Post by poiko » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 pm

There is currently no Auto-channels in lossy format configurations because available Channel modes change when the Bit Rate selection is changed.

I.e. 5.1 may be available for 256 kbit/s but not available if you choose 128 kbit/s (just an example).

I will see what I can do.

PHloGiSTo
Bronze
Bronze

Post by PHloGiSTo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:51 pm

The auto option was available in older versions, i just checked v6.1 and selecting .m4a AAC LC CBR at 40k, there is an Auto/Stereo/Mono option, but changing the bitrate to 288k only gives Stereo as an option. That's the behavior i am looking for, Auto at the specified bitrate should keep the current channels if possible.
For now i have copied the aac dolby dlls into 8.1 and they seem to work as expected to retain the source channels and sample rate correctly (using Auto). But i would like to use the newer AAC encoder and not have to manually set the channel for the files if some are mono and some are stereo.

Thanks

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:40 am

But it does not make sense to convert Mono/Stereo/5.1 to the same bitrate. The bitrate selection could be per Channel but it would be cumbersome to select the desired Bit Rate.

Auto Channel modes work great for lossless formats but there are some logical problems for using it with the lossy formats.