[ Fixed ] Read errors in Error Detection mode

Tell us if the software is behaving badly

Moderator: poiko

retierney
New User

[ Fixed ] Read errors in Error Detection mode

Post by retierney » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Hello,

I just installed the latest update and now I can't rip any CD's. It just gets a lot of read errors on the first track, or any track, of any CD.

Thanks

Bob

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Read errors in Error Detection mode

Post by poiko » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am

Do you get READ or DATA errors ?

Normal mode ripping mode works fine, but you get errors in Error Detection mode ? And Error Detection / Compatibility mode ?

Atma
Silver
Silver

Post by Atma » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:53 pm

No problems here ;)

retierney
New User

Post by retierney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your responses. I get READ-only errors. I do have error detection turned on. I turned it off and now it rips (as expected). No, I do not have that drive. I have an "ASUS DRW-24B1ST I", if that helps. Whenever I get read errors I clean the disc and retry and it almost always works then. Occasionally I do get a disc that won't rip with error detection on.

It worked before the update and doesn't work after. As a retired Programmer, and as my Dad--an IBM Program Manager--used to say "if it worked before your code changes and not after, then your code broke it." The problem may of course lie elsewhere and your code just flushed it out.

I'd like to run with error detection on, if possible. I'm running:

Windows 10 Home
Version 1803
Build 17134.556

I really do appreciate your help. Any further suggestions?

Thank...

Bob

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 pm

READ error is reported in the Error Detection mode if there really is an actual error reading the *correct* data. The error response comes from the device. As it goes away when you clean the disc, it seems like the READ errors are reported correctly.

>> Occasionally I do get a disc that won't rip with error detection on.

If the disc is in bad condition, where the drive cannot mechanically position the laser or can't find the correct spot to read from on the disc surface, then it will fail with HARD READ ERROR in Error Detection mode. This error response is also received from the device.

The two fixes I did to the last update (8.1.1) are correct. I undid the things I made to the ripping engine few months ago.

retierney
New User

Post by retierney » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Okay.

I did some more investigating. I remembered I had an external optical drive, so I plugged it in and turned on error checking and tried to rip a disc. It worked, but one of the tracks reported DATA errors. I re-ripped that track over and over and I got a different number of DATA errors each time. It doesn't matter because I just finished ordering another DVD drive. :)

Thank you very much for your great support!!!

Bob

thenumber99
New User

Read errors in Error Detection mode / split

Post by thenumber99 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 am

I'm having the same issue. Turning off Error Detection fixes it, but I have that there for obvious reasons. You can hear the drive spin up and slow down over and over, while generating read and data errors. I initially thought it was the disc itself (since it was old), so I grabbed another copy off of amazon and it's doing the exact same thing out of the package. Yet I turn off Error Detection and it rips fine.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:15 am

thenumber99 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 am I'm having the same issue. Turning off Error Detection fixes it, but I have that there for obvious reasons. You can hear the drive spin up and slow down over and over, while generating read and data errors. I initially thought it was the disc itself (since it was old), so I grabbed another copy off of amazon and it's doing the exact same thing out of the package. Yet I turn off Error Detection and it rips fine.
Having this problem with one particular CD only ?
Do you have EZ CD Audio Converter 8.1.1 (the latest version) ?
In your last forums post you were having issues with the ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive. You can try the 'Compatibility' Error Detection mode that reads shorter blocks off the drive.
Is the drive connected to an USB port, or is it an internal SATA drive ?
It may be a drive issue. Hardware is different and some drives will work better than other.

The error detection mode in EZ CD Audio Converter works fine if the drive correctly supports the C2 Error Information feature and can return correct Status Codes for other data/read/sync errors. If the drive does not behave as the spec says, there is not much I can do about it.

thenumber99
New User

Post by thenumber99 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:44 am

Your questions:

1. I've tried multiple cds. Same problem.

2. Version is 8.1.1.

3. It was an Asus internal SATA drive. In the past, I've had to use Compatibility mode when Error Correction was selected. If I turn off Compatibility mode, I get errors.

4. Based on your post, I ordered a lite-on internal SATA drive. I installed it today, and it behaves exactly as the previous drive. I can no longer use Enable error detection.

If I roll back to 8.1.0, I have no issues, and everything works correctly. One of the reasons I bought and use your software is it's error checking ability. I'm trying to rip a massive collection one time, and never have to do it again. So I would really like to use error detection, especially as it's worked fine in the past.

Thanks.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Error Detection Compatibility mode works exactly the same way as Error Detection mode but reads shorter blocks. Error Detection capability is the same. Ripping speed may be somewhat slower.

What are the errors you get in normal Error Detection mode ? Are they READ, SYNC, or DATA errors ? How many of them, for each track ?

It can be a I/O driver problem. Do you have other CD/DVD/BD ripping / burning / emulator programs that may have installed drivers to your system ?

https://download.poikosoft.com/devfilter.exe

You'll see this screen, select the CD/DVD/BD drive you use for CD ripping.
devfilter.png
devfilter.png (14.87 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Are there any Upper or Lower Filter Drivers installed ?

Are you saying that Error Detection normal mode works in v8.1 but not in v8.1.1 ? When I look at the small changes I made to the v8.1.1 it seems to be very odd.

Try this build:

* Link gone *

I decreased the sense data request block size (Status Codes from device) to minimum required. Is there any difference, or same behaviour ?

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Read errors in Error Detection mode / split

Post by poiko » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:48 pm

If you have an Intel processor on your computer, try to update to the latest SATA drivers from here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... etect.html

You can also try to connect the drive to a different SATA port.

thexfile
Gold
Gold

Post by thexfile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:17 am

Updated..

My freakout is over. 😄
Last edited by thexfile on Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retierney
New User

Post by retierney » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:37 am

Hello,

I'm back! I just finished installing the new drive that I bought because I thought the one I took out was the problem. Well, that doesn't appear to be the case. The new drive (Lite-ON Premium DH-16AFSH-PREMM2) gets READ errors just like the one that used to work before the latest update. I verified that the drive does indeed detect C2 Read Errors.

I tried everything that you suggested in this thread; all to no avail. I only have the one drive installed.

:(

Bob

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:06 am

thexfile wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:17 am Capture.PNG

🤔 All three of my drives with no upper and lower filters.

Windows 10 fast ring.
AMD system, GA-990FXA-UD7 mobo.
It's a normal condition that there is no filter drivers.

And all three drives rip perfectly with error detection enabled ?

thexfile
Gold
Gold

Post by thexfile » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:48 am

Yes, and they rip on other software just fine.