[ Fixed ] Read errors in Error Detection mode

Tell us if the software is behaving badly

Moderator: poiko

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [ Fixed ] Read errors in Error Detection mode

Post by poiko » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:00 pm

Oatisp wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 am Hello, I just received the new update 8.2.0 and now all's I get is massive sync/data errors. I was ripping to MP3 MPEG Layer 3. It was working fine the last time I ripped a few days ago. It has to be the update causing this. The 4 disc's I ripped are brand new never played yet and all are getting the errors. Please Advise, thanks!
I knew this might happen. :shock: :oops:

So I released v8.2.1 that allows the Error Detection method selection. Select the "C2 #2" method and it works just like in the old versions.

Both methods work exactly the same way, but there is a difference in the command sent to the drive. Some drives operate with both command variants, some drives operate only with one command variant. :!: (Spec says both should work :/)

It may have been possible to do auto-detection of the command variant, but it is more reliable and faster to use the manual selection. 8)

Can you send me the vendor model version string as shown in EZ CD device selection ? Maybe I should buy the same drive for testing purposes if it is still available.

Back in the beginning of 2000's it was usual that different vendors used different commands for audio CD reading. I received a huge pile of different drives and command set manuals from vendors and worked thru it to make CD ripping to work on all devices. It was settled with SCSI Multimedia Commands (MMC), so that all drives would use the same command set. It works very well, except on error detection reading mode where there are drives/firmwares that do not strictly obey the standard. :mrgreen:

retierney
New User

Post by retierney » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 am

Hello Poiko,

Just tried version 8.2.1.1 with Error Detection enabled. It worked great using method "C2 #1", but not method "C2 #2". Could you give me, or point me to an explanation of the two methods.

I'm a very happy camper! Thank you very much!

Bob :D :D :D

Oatisp
New User

Post by Oatisp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 am

Sure, the Drive I use is: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-755A 1.06 (This Drive has been a workhorse for me :D)

Oatisp
New User

Post by Oatisp » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:18 am

C2 #2 is working fine for me, thanks!!

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:51 am

retierney wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:13 am you give me, or point me to an explanation of the two methods.
It was explained above. Both methods work similarly, and return the same error correction data.

It is interesting that old Plextors require method #2 and new Plextors manufactured by Lite-On require method #1. Great compatibility within the same brand.