[ Fixed ] Metadata after switching from Audio CD Ripper to Audio Converter, changing CD and go back to Audio CD Ripper

Tell us if the software is behaving badly

Moderator: poiko

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

[ Fixed ] Metadata after switching from Audio CD Ripper to Audio Converter, changing CD and go back to Audio CD Ripper

Post by davefox » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 pm

This is bit strange, but it's happened to me three times now and I can more or less reproduce it. I'm running v8.1.0 build 2, which you sent me a couple of weeks ago in response to the check box issue.

I was ripping a disc to mp3 and then realized that I needed to rip one of the tracks to .wav to do some editing. So I changed to Wave PCM and ripped the track. Then I ejected the disc and inserted a new one.

I didn't see the usual window while querying freedb, etc. Instead, the metadata window populated. It had the correct number of tracks and start and length times for all the tracks for the new disc, but Track Artist, Titles, Album etc. were filled in from the previous disc. It didn't seem to realize that this was a new disc. The new disc had more tracks than the first one, and the extras were filled in with "Track xx".

When it happened the first time, I though I might have a duplicate disc in the box set, so I inserted and ejected discs several times, and the right data came up after a few tries. The second time, I think I just ejected and reinserted the disc and it came up ok. But this last time, that didn't work, so I did a Metadata -> Retrieve and it queried the databases as usual and came up with the right data.

So I'm not sure what fixed it, but each time it was triggered by ripping some tracks to WAV.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Re: CD Ripper retrieve metadata after a WAV rip

Post by davefox » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:52 am

Just had it happen for the 4th time. This time, I ripped a couple of mp3s off the disk, then switched to WAV for one track, then back to mp3s for a few more. When I ejected the disc and loaded the next one, I got the old metadata. Once again, the track count and timings reflected the new disc, but all the metadata were from the first disc.

I ejected and reinserted and got the same. I inserted the first disc, ejected, then inserted the second disc and still got the old data. I never saw the window for the metadata query on the second disc during all of this. It took a "Retrieve" to get the query window, and then the correct data came in.

Every time, it was the WAV rip that triggered it. I've done that for 4 discs now and seen the problem each time.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:36 pm

When you insert a new CD, the local database cache is queried with unique disc identifier. If the metadata is found from the local database cache, then the Internet query is not auto-executed.

It may be that you have used Manual Discogs/GD3/MusicBrainz query in the past with an older EZ CD Audio Converter version and have retrieved the manual metadata for a wrong CD. And it was saved to local database cache when you ejected or closed the program.

It is not possible that ripping to WAV or ripping to MP3 makes any difference to the local database cache query.

You can completely remove the local database cache by deleting the folder '%localappdata%\EZ CD Audio Converter\cddb' (paste to the Windows File Explorer bread crumb bar. It is also cleared if you do uninstall / reinstall.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 am

Thanks for the reply. I've been pondering it for a while now, but I can't come to grips with it. :)

Since installing version 8.x in early January, I've ripped almost 300 CDs. I did thousands with earlier versions, and have done these WAV rips occasionally all the while. I never saw this problem with the earlier versions, and only after WAV rips with 8.x. I don't understand the connection with WAV rips either, but the circumstances suggest a connection.

Stale or incorrect data from the database doesn't fit either. This last occurrence was with a newly released CD that had never been in my system before. Even if there was a UID screwup of some sort, it would pull some old metadata set from the local database. But I didn't get old metadata; I got precisely the metadata from the last disc I was working with. And that was metadata that I had tweaked a bit. The second disc showed the same metadata, with tweaks, that could only have been created minutes earlier while I was working with the first disc.

I do agree that the software seemed to think that the metadata was in the local database and got it from there. But I think that local data was what was written minutes earlier, and that the software thought it was still working with the same UID.

When you eject a CD after ripping, the metadata display is cleared. Do you also zero out the UID, or does it remain in a variable? Is there any way that the new UID for the second disc isn't being written to that variable for some reason?

Apologies for presuming how your software might work. Done a lot of programming, debugging and testing over the years, so trying to match symptoms to programming scenarios is burned into the brain by now.

regards,

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm

I think there is an UID collision. Two discs generate the same UID. The UID is calculated from the track offsets. However, it is very rare that two UIDs collide.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm

I looked back through the cddb folder and found the two xml files, for the file that I did the WAV rip on (the first file) and the next file which showed the incorrect metadata (the second file). These two filenames are presumably the UIDs for the two discs. Both of these files had correct metadata for their respective discs. I then opened the cddb.uni file, which appears to be the legacy database, and searched for the two UIDs. Neither are in the file.

There's no way that this could have been a UID collision with an older disc. If it had been, then the incorrect metadata for the second disc would have been some unrelated disc from ages past. I didn't get that. I got the same metadata from the previous (first) disc - metadata for a brand new disc and with metadata that I had tweaked minutes earlier. The metadata set that it showed for the second disc did not exist until a few minutes earlier when I was working on the first disc.

It's not a big problem. It's easily recognized and easily fixed by doing a Retrieve. But the only thing that makes sense to me is that the software didn't calculate or update the UID for the second disc for some reason, and made its local query based on the previous UID.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:37 pm

What happens if you just switch between these two discs, same metadata remains ?

That is strange. The UID is generated only for the local metadata retrieval function from the CD TOC that is read after the disc is inserted. And you said track numbers and timings are correct ? They are read from the same CD TOC variable that is used for UID generation for the local db query.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:22 pm

I will do further investigation on the issue, I hope I will figure it out.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Wish I could be more helpful on what fixed the problem. The first time this happened, I thought the box set had a mislabeled, duplicate disc, which has happened in the past. I did a lot of shuffling discs back and forth and eventually the correct metadata came in, but I'm not sure exactly what I did.

On the later incidents, I did try shuffling disc one and disc two back and forth and it never cleared up. I kept getting the metadata from disc one. I ended up having to use Retrieve.

What index gets sent to freedb and the other on-line databases when you make a query? I always assumed that it was the UID that you use in your database, but you're saying that's only used locally. If they are two different things, that could be a clue, because the manual Retrieve always gets the correct data.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm

One other hint that I haven't mentioned. I've been trying to figure how the WAV rip could possibly factor into this. Last night, I tried to duplicate the problem by simply doing a WAV rip, and it didn't occur. So I'm figuring there's something else going on.

When I do a WAV rip, I then launch an audio editor (I use Goldwave), fiddle with the waveform and save it, and then run the Audio Converter to convert the edited WAV files to mp3. I have the original CD in the drive while I'm doing all of this.

So it could be that it's the Audio Converter run that's triggering this, rather than the WAV rip. I ran out of time last night, but I'll try to duplicate that process tonight to see if I can make it happen again.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Thanks for further information. It may be something in switching from Audio CD Ripper to Audio Converter and back and change the disc somewhere in between.

I will try and see if I can reproduce the problem and then do some debugging to see why it happens.

It will be very easy to fix if I am be able to reproduce the problem on my computer. I have never seen it happened here.

It has to be just a logic error.

davefox
Bronze
Bronze

Post by davefox » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:31 am

Bingo! Just reproduced it. Get yourself some coffee.

Inserted a new disc, which has 10 tracks. The query went through to the online databases, metadata popped up, and two files appeared in the cddb directory: A903F1.xml (5kb) and A903F10 (no extension, 49 kb, a binary file).

Tweaked the metadata a bit, then started a rip of the entire contents in Single File mode, to mp3. The file with no extension vanished, while A903F1.xml was updated, now showing the tweaks I'd made. The rip went with no errors.

Then ripped just the last track to WAV. Again, the xml file was accessed and modified, although it looks like no changes were made to the data. That makes sense, since I didn't modify any metadata before the wav rip.

Switched to Audio Converter, dragged the wav file into the window and converted it. No activity seen in the cddb directory.

Now removed the first disc and inserted a second disc, which has 14 tracks. No freedb, etc. query window seen and the identical metadata popped up for tracks 1-10, with 11-14 showing as "Track xx" (see attached screencap). A new file popped up in the cddb directory - 10A3A76.xml. This file is identical to A903F1.xml, except that has the additional tracks near the bottom, like ...

<track number="11">
<metadata>
</metadata>
<images>
</images>
</track>

I can send you the two xml files if you'd like. I can't seem to attach them for some reason.

Note that no binary file appeared at this point.

Then I did a Metadata ... Retrieve. The query window popped up, the correct metadata filled in. The file 10A3A76.xml was modified, now showing all the correct data. Now file 10A3A760 (no extension) appeared, again a binary file.

Then I ripped disc 2 to mp3. It went fine, although I notice that the binary file didn't disappear as before. It's still in the cddb directory.

I continued ripping a few more discs with no problems, although these binary files continued to remain for each disc. I looked back through the directory and found a number of these binary files, corresponding to when I had this problem earlier.

So it looks like Audio Converter is what triggered this, rather than the WAV rip. Not sure what you're using the binary files for, but they may been connected as well.
Attachments
ezcdcap.jpg
ezcdcap.jpg (237.51 KiB) Viewed 160 times

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Retrieve metadata after switching from Audio CD Ripper to Audio Converter, changing CD and go back to Audio CD Rippe

Post by poiko » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Symptom:
Audio CD Ripper - CD has metadata,
switch to Audio Converter,
Change CD,
switch back to Audio Converter
Newly inserted CD shows the previous disc metadata

Reason:
A logical bug in the Software saved the old CD metadata to the local database with the UID generated from the new CD TOC. And then loaded the old CD metadata from the local database with the new UID/CD TOC.

FIXED

:D

Very special thanks for davefox for finding the bug and figuring out the procedure for replicating the behaviour.