Custom metadata tag (TXXX) "PRE_EMPHASIS" with "Yes" if the CD track has Pre-emphasis?

Request new software features

Moderator: poiko

aacton
Bronze
Bronze

Custom metadata tag (TXXX) "PRE_EMPHASIS" with "Yes" if the CD track has Pre-emphasis?

Post by aacton » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:39 pm

Greetings

My playback software uses a custom metadata Tag (TXXX) with "PRE_EMPHASIS" and "Yes" for each track... to enable correct playback with De-emphasis.

Since EZ-CD already does a wonderful job reading the CD TRACK(s) sub-code to determine if Pre-emphasis was used ...

Q: Can we have an option to write a custom (TXXX) tag with the Pre-emphasis status?

Ideally, the custom tag KEYWORD (e.g. "PRE_EMPHASIS") could be defaulted OR tailored by the user (some people may need a different keyword).
In addition the VALUE (e.g. "Y") could be defaulted OR set to a value (E.g. "Yes" or "1" or "Y") if EZ CD found Pre-emphasis when ripping the CD.

Regards,
AA

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom metadata tag (TXXX) "PRE_EMPHASIS" with "Yes" if the CD track has Pre-emphasis?

Post by poiko » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:40 am

Thank you for your suggestion.

You can add custom tag in the metadata editor:
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (62.16 KiB) Viewed 350 times
I am not sure whether this should be done automatically, because:
- There is no *standard* tag for pre-emphasis (?)
- Pre-Emphasis on CDs are very rare

aacton
Bronze
Bronze

Re: Custom metadata tag (TXXX) "PRE_EMPHASIS" with "Yes" if the CD track has Pre-emphasis?

Post by aacton » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:42 pm

Greetings,

Based on your suggestion I edited the metadata and ADDED a TAG called "PRE_EMPHASIS" and set the value to "Yes". My playback software now works correctly (de-emphasis is applied at playback) Many thanks! This is a useful feature of EZ CD.

Also:
- no standard tag for Pre-emphasis.
I think you are correct. Its up to the playback device (in the 'old days' it was the CD player) that engaged the de-emphasis circuits, some CD players had an indicator "EMPHASIS" to show de-emphasis was engaged for a CD track when played. With software playback of 'ripped' CDs (files) its now up to the player software to turn de-emphasis on (de-empasise the audio signal).

- CDs with Pre-emphasis are not common
They tend to be CDs that were mastered in the 1980s-1990s but you can still by a CD today (new) that has pre-emphasis! For example I bought a newly manufactured CD this year (2019) of music that was 'mastered' for CD in 1986. The original 1986 CD release had pre-emphasis ON, and the new CD I bought today (2019) also has pre-emphasis ON! There are also many (hundreds?) of CD releases with pre-emphasis (often classical music and in particular from Japanese companies, DENON, or European recording companies, BIS ... etc). So this is an ongoing issue that good CD ripping and playback software needs to manage correctly.

Finally:
Q1) Can you confirm that EZ CD uses the track sub-code (NOT the CD TOC) to determine if Pre-emphasis is used? This seems to be the case, because I noticed the CD drive seeks across the disk looking at each track...sub-code?

Q2) Can you consider adding a NEW OPTION in EZ-CD to set a 'user' metadata tag (i.e "PRE_EMPHASIS set to 'Yes") if EZ CD detects and rips a CD track with Pre-emphasis on? This would (I believe) make EX CD Audio Converter the *ONLY* CD ripper that has a fully automatic solution for ripping CDs with Pre-emphasis. :) :) For your consideration...

Cheers,
Andrew

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Q1 Yes Sub-Code

Q2 How about de-emphasis automatic or via DSP option ?

thexfile
Gold
Gold

Post by thexfile » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Q2 DSP option. :mrgreen:

aacton
Bronze
Bronze

Post by aacton » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:07 pm

Greetings

Q1) Sub-Code ... :D

'Q2 How about de-emphasis automatic or via DSP option ?'

No easy answer... I'm afraid.

MY SITUATION: I can live with the current solution:
(a) Detect CD Pre-emphasis (sub-code) ... you already have this.
(b) Write the Pre-emphasis status to the RIP LOG (requested in the 'Wish List' forum) ... hopefully coming in a new release :)
(c) I manually update the metadata for the files WITH Pre-emphasis detected so the playback software I use can do pre-emphasis.
I was hoping to 'automate' (c) via something you could add in EZ CD however I understand it may be getting too complex.

OTHER PEOPLE:
There are a lot of OTHER people (I suspect) that use other audio file formats (FLAC) that would probably benefit from an 'automatic' option to perform CD track de-emphasis detection, DSP correction and SAVE the final de-emphasised.

I did read in several other forums that some ripping programs perform automatic de-emphasis when ripping CDs (the end user is unaware this is happening) ... and the final file (not WAV) is saved 'de-emphisised'.

Cheers,
Andrew

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 pm

De-emphasize in Audio CD Ripper has been implemented.
Untitled-3.png
Untitled-3.png (29.93 KiB) Viewed 317 times