Need to run EZ Audio as Admin for ripping? (Remote Desktop)

Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

AlfaGTV
Bronze
Bronze

Need to run EZ Audio as Admin for ripping? (Remote Desktop)

Post by AlfaGTV » Wed May 13, 2020 5:36 pm

I recently built an audio server, based on fairly recent hardware. (Asus ROG B360-I Gaming, Intel i3 8100, 16Gb DDR4)
I repurposed an optical slot in bluray drive from Streacom (ST-OB3) but it seemed faulty. Didn't think much about it but ordered another one. When i installed the new drive it was just as unavailable... :(

Since neither of these had been used by me previously i didn't know of their history. However, i did have a bright idea, and that was to start EZ Audio Converter as Administrator, and wadda ya know? Both of the drives are perfectly serviceable and working fine.

The question is;
Is this due to me running this server headless and accessing its desktop and appliactions using RDP? Or is it EZ Audio 9.1.1 that needs to be started with administrative rights to be granted access to hardware such as the optical drive?

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need to run EZ Audio as Admin for ripping?

Post by poiko » Wed May 13, 2020 8:26 pm

You need to edit the Group Policy and enable a Computer Policy on the host computer with the CD/DVD/BD drive.

In the local Group Policy editor, go into Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access

Enable the policy "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions"

This policy setting grants normal users direct access to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

If you enable this policy setting, remote users will be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, remote users will not be able to open direct handles to removable storage devices in remote sessions.

AlfaGTV
Bronze
Bronze

Re: Need to run EZ Audio as Admin for ripping? (Remote Desktop)

Post by AlfaGTV » Wed May 13, 2020 8:57 pm

Highly rare today! A straight answer, which corrects my issue within the blink of an eye!
Thank you very much Poiko, works beautifully! (And, i learned something too)

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Thu May 14, 2020 11:25 pm

:D

lammikko
New User

Post by lammikko » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:34 am

poiko & AlfaGTV, thanks for solving my problem with RDP too.
I have used the re-installation as a workaround, but EZ lost the drive every time when closed.
And now to study what else I can do with the Group Policy :)