ISO conversion

Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

geezer1
New User

ISO conversion

Post by geezer1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:24 am

ok, I've been using this software for a couple of decades, so this is a bit embarrassing. I've lost the bubble on ISO. I have a disk which is DST64. 5.1 and 2.0. I'm a audiophile 2 channel guy, and only want a conversion to 2 channel DSD 64 files. In EZ CD, I dropped the ISO file into the conversion window and did a "select all". I did not notice that I had selected two copies of every track, one for the 5.1 encoding (I assume) and the other for 2.0.

easily rectified, but before I did, since I had 2 dsf tracks for each song from the conversions, I compared them. They were a few percent different in size, and a few seconds different in track length. When I did A/B testing on each track, I found they sounded quite different, in a couple of cases signficantly. And, for those two cases in my judgement one track sounded better with the 5.1 conversion while another track sounded significantly better using the 2.0 conversion. I expected the 2.0 conversion to be best in all cases.
Any insight into what is going on here? Obviously I'm not the expert....

guruboolez
New User

Re: ISO conversion

Post by guruboolez » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm

The 2.0 and the 5.1 are different masterings. In some rare SACD the multichannel stream can even be a different work than on the stereo track.

Duration of each track may differ a little between both streams: that's normal. But if your 2.0 DSD (DSF I assume) and your 5.1 have both the same size then you have a problem (unless you asked to EZ CD to downsample the 5.1 to 2.0… I'm not sure if the feature exists): it would mean that your 5.1 is probably a fake one.

Sound quality is expect to differ between 2.0 and 5.1 and also between 2.0 and 5.1 downmixed to 2.0 on your side. It's a matter of taste, of mastering skills, etc… On some tracks one mastering choices is better than other, and on the next tracks some accoustic or instrumental colors are making opposite feelings.

If you're an “audiophile 2 channels guy” then go for the 2.0 tracks and avoid the MCH. I think it's the smarter choice.

geezer1
New User

Re: ISO conversion

Post by geezer1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:53 pm

thanks, that was very helpful. EZ-CD did fine on converting the 5.1 DXD encoding to .dsf64 files. It was a bit disconcerting that these 5.1 conversions (a kind of remixing) in some cases sounded better (to my ear at least) than the straight DSD conversion.