Music Converter | CD Ripper | Disc Burner
General discussion / Request help

Moderator: poiko

LonelyPixel
Bronze
Bronze

Difference between .aac encoders

Post by LonelyPixel » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:07 pm

After upgrading to the latest version I see there are two encoders for .aac files. Fraunhofer FDK and Fraunhofer IIS [Pro]. These names don't make much sense because the codec was developed (like MP3) by the Fraunhofer IIS institute (just a few km from here). But what is FDK and what is [Pro]? Which should I use?

yamasakiross
Bronze
Bronze

Re: Difference between .aac encoders

Post by yamasakiross » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:08 am

LonelyPixel wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:07 pm After upgrading to the latest version I see there are two encoders for .aac files. Fraunhofer FDK and Fraunhofer IIS [Pro]. These names don't make much sense because the codec was developed (like MP3) by the Fraunhofer IIS institute (just a few km from here). But what is FDK and what is [Pro]? Which should I use?
I also found it confusing. But from what little I know, it seems that the FDK was developed with Android in mind and is open source. IIS Pro is a company proprietary project. In my tests both are good, but AAC IIS PRO is superior. I even noticed the spectrogram of the files:
AAC FDK, 288 Kbps, 44.1 Khz, CBR

AAC IIS PRO, 288 Kbps, 44.1 Khz, CBR

ORIGINAL FILE, 48 Khz

The difference is small looking in the spectrogram.
I just don't understand why the AAC FDK has more bitrate options in both CBR and VBR than the AAC ISS PRO.

iBypass
Bronze
Bronze

Post by iBypass » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:14 am

Hello Poiko !

I was just about to create a new post with the exact same question ... I did verify the "encoder versions" page from the website but can't find any details about that ... so could you please specify what's the differences between the Fraunhofer encoders ?

Regards, iBypass ;-)

LonelyPixel
Bronze
Bronze

Post by LonelyPixel » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:25 pm

yamasakiross wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:08 am AAC FDK, 288 Kbps, 44.1 Khz, CBR
Well, if you flood it with bitrate, everything is good. My target is more around 64 kBit/s. I found this good enough for mobile use with Bluetooth earbuds. It's also a tradeoff to storage space.

iBypass
Bronze
Bronze

Post by iBypass » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:01 pm

LonelyPixel wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:25 pm Well, if you flood it with bitrate, everything is good. My target is more around 64 kBit/s. I found this good enough for mobile use with Bluetooth earbuds. It's also a tradeoff to storage space.
That is not the question in the first place ...

We're asking Poiko to explain what's the actual differences between the Fraunhofer encoders :

"Fraunhofer FDK" and "Fraunhofer IIS [Pro]" ?

Regards, iBypass ;-)

LonelyPixel
Bronze
Bronze

Post by LonelyPixel » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:40 pm

I've sent them a question through their contact form. Maybe it helps. I'll let you know if I get an answer directly.

poiko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by poiko » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:48 am

Fraunhofer FDK is AAC encoder developed for Android operating system and uses integer math

Fraunhofer IIS AAC encoder is the "Professional" encoder officially licensed from Fraunhofer IIS by Poikosoft. It uses floating point math, is faster than FDK, and provides better audio quality than FDK (especially with low bit rates)

Fraunhofer FDK is included for backward-compatibility and also for formats that Fraunhofer IIS encoder does not support (some multichannel formats at least)

There is also a 3rd AAC encoder EZ CD Audio Converter supports; Apple AAC encoder is available if Apple iTunes is installed in the system

It's recommended to use the Fraunhofer IIS "Pro" encoder for all AAC encoding because of the best audio quality. For even improved audio quality you can use Fraunhofer IIS xHE-AAC encoder

LonelyPixel
Bronze
Bronze

Post by LonelyPixel » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:07 am

Thank you for clarification.

So was there only the FDK encoder in the past and everything I've encoded was with that encoder? In other words, would it have any effect to re-encode those files with the Pro encoder now?

iBypass
Bronze
Bronze

Post by iBypass » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:03 pm

Many thanks Poiko for the complete story !

Regards, iBypass ;-)

washinoboku
New User

Post by washinoboku » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:17 am

Same questions about xHE-ACC codecs. Fraunhofer IIS is better in quality than Exhale? Thanks!

thexfile
Gold
Gold

Post by thexfile » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:02 pm

You're not going to get full cd quality from any lossy rip.

Apple AAC encoder sounds good.
https://www.poikosoft.com/install-apple-aac-encoder

LonelyPixel
Bronze
Bronze

Post by LonelyPixel » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:00 pm

No thanks, I'm not interested in apples that I can't eat.

I'm still waiting for a clarification about my last question. Seems like there isn't much support here.

CrimsonSky
New User

Post by CrimsonSky » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:46 am

If you're re-encoding from a lossless source (i.e. CD or Flac file) then it would make sense. If you mean converting directly from the current FDK encoded files using the IIS Pro encoder, then no, this won't improve the sound quality. In fact, it is likely to make it sound even worse.